ACCESSIBILITYUpdated 6 months ago
Accessibility Plans and Policies for Giant Tiger
This 2014-21 accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that Giant Tiger will put into place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
Statement of Commitment
We are committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Accessible Emergency Information:
Giant Tiger is committed to providing the customers and clients with publicly available emergency information in an accessible way upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
Giant Tiger will provide training to all employees on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to people with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of all employees. Giant Tiger requests that all volunteers be trained by their sponsoring organizations before volunteering at Giant Tiger.
Giant Tiger has implemented the following steps to ensure employees are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessible laws by January 1, 2015.
- Provide training as part of a new employee’s orientation process.
- Re-fresher training offered yearly for all current employees.
Giant Tiger has taken the following steps to ensure consideration is given to the needs of people with disabilities when designing, procuring or acquiring self-service kiosks as of January 1, 2014.
- When in the process of repairing or replacing current kiosks in the store; will ensure at the same time they are updated to meet the accessibility requirements of the customers.
- All new stores with kiosks will have the required accessible kiosks.
- Giant Tiger will ensure that vendor supplied kiosks meet the requirements under the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation.
Information and Communications
Giant Tiger is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs.
We have taken the following steps to make all new websites and content on those sites conform to WCAG 2.0, Level A as of January 1, 2014.
- We worked directly with our internal and external web-developers to ensure they met the WCAG 2.0 Level A standards on websites.
Giant Tiger has taken the following steps to ensure existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request by January 1, 2015.
- Feedback can be provided in person at a Giant Tiger store, by mail or online.
- A response will be provided within 7 business days from the date feedback was submitted.
Giant Tiger has taken the following steps to make sure all publicly available information is made accessible upon request by January 1, 2016.
- Postings at all public entrances and service counters on our premises advise customers of the availability of the accessible customer service policy to the public.
- Will review the different formats that may be required and ensure that stores can accommodate.
Giant Tiger will take the following steps to make all websites and content conform to WCAG 2.0 Level AA by January 1, 2021.
- We will work directly with our internal and external web-developers to ensure they meet the WCAG 2.0 Level AA standards on websites moving forward.
Giant Tiger is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. To meet the January 1 2016 requirement Giant Tiger will take the following steps to notify the public and staff that when requested, we will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. To that end, we will:
- Notify employees and the public about the availability of accommodation for applicants with disabilities in our recruitment process.
- Notify job applicants when they are selected to participate in an assessment or selection process that accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.
- Consult with applicants requesting accommodation and provide/arrange for a suitable accommodation.
Giant Tiger currently has a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability. We will take the following steps to ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account when using performance management, career development and redeployment processes.
- Review employees’ accommodation plan with the view of accommodating needs as required.
- Make performance management documents available in accessible formats such as large print when asked.
- Provide feedback and coach employees in a way that is accessible to them, such as using plain language for an employee who has a learning disability.
Giant Tiger will take the following steps to prevent and remove other accessibility barriers identified.
- Identify and review any potential accessibility barriers and initiate a plan to address.
Design of Public Spaces
Giant Tiger will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces when building or making major modifications to public spaces by January 1 2017.
Public Spaces Include:
Accessible off Street Parking
- We currently offer accessible parking spaces as specified by the building code.
- When major changes or new construction of the parking areas are undertaken, Giant Tiger will ensure that 4% of the parking spaces are accessible.
Service-Related Elements Like Service Counters, Fixed Queuing Lines and Waiting Areas:
- We will ensure accessible checkout configuration to meet the standards required.
Giant Tiger has the following procedures in place to prevent service disruptions to its accessible parts of its public spaces.
- In the event of a service disruption, we will notify the public of the service disruption and alternatives available.
Accessible formats of this document are available at no charge upon request. For more information or to request accessible formats of this document please contact our Customer Service team.